December 8, 2021

Ronaldo underwent medical, joined preseason training amid transfer rumors

3 min read

Cristiano Ronaldo is back from his holiday since Portugal’s Euro 2020 defeat to Belgium at the round of 16 and amid rumors of leaving the Bianconneri, the 36-year-old underwent a medical in Turin and joined preseason training ahead of the 2021-22 Serie A season. The Juventus talisman has one-year left on his contract and was heavily linked to Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United and Real Madrid transfer. 

The Portugal captain arrived at Juve’s Continassa sports complex and was later seen entering the club’s J-Medical centre, with about a hundred cheering Juve fans waiting to see him. Ronaldo, who won the Golden Boot in the recently concluded Euro 2020, will be reunited to his former coach Massimiliano Allegri as they meet this week along with the Juventus management to clarify his future in the club. 

In recent days, Manchester City had been linked with a move for Ronaldo, despite his previous comments that it would be “very difficult” for him to play for United’s huge rivals. There are also speculations of his intention to return to his former Spanish club Real Madrid, while French giants PSG were also reportedly entered the contention for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.

Juventus chief Pavel Nedved has earlier confirmed that their star player will stay in Turin. “Ronaldo has been called up for July 26. He will be back on Monday and will stay with us,” Nedved told a news agency after the club’s friendly win over Cesena. Nedved also offered an update on Paulo Dybala’s future, saying that they are “in good time to get the situation resolved.”

The transfer speculation came after Ronaldo reportedly frustrated about Juventus’ performance during the last season where they exited the Champions League as early as in the last-16 and failed to defend their title despite finishing as top goal-scorer with 29 goals. Juventus finished fourth in the Serie A table and Ronaldo scored 36 goals in 44 appearances for Juve that helped the club lift the Coppa Italia.

Juventus chief Pavel Nedved has earlier confirmed that their star player will stay in Turin. “Ronaldo has been called up for July 26. He will be back on Monday and will stay with us,” Nedved told a news agency after the club’s friendly win over Cesena. Nedved also offered an update on Paulo Dybala’s future, saying that they are “in good time to get the situation resolved.”

Ronaldo joined the Bianconeri in July 2018 after the club paid Real Madrid £99.2million. Since then, he’s netted an impressive 101 goals in 133 games and won two Serie A titles, two Italian super cups and one Coppa Italia. His current deal expires in the summer of 2022, which means the Turin-side would only have less than a year to convince him to sign a new contract. 

Meanwhile, Swedish forward Dejan Kulusevski, Dutch defender Matthijs De Ligt, Welsh midfielder Aaron Ramsey and French midfielder Adrien Rabiot were also seen returning after their European championship stills. Juve will play Monza in the Silvio Berlusconi trophy before taking on Barcelona at the Joan Gamper Trophy on August 8. They begin the Serie A season with a trip to Udinese on August 22.

Exciting games and big wins as you visit 12BET where exclusive promotions await for you. 

Visit 12BET login and join us to claim exclusive benefits and more